The War Economy: Militarism and the Proliferation of Gun Violence is the theme of Week 3 (May 27-June 2) of the Poor People’s Campaign: 40 Days of Action. Two SEYM Friends, Pete Ackerman (Palm Beach Meeting) and Jeanette Smith (Miami), are on the steering committee of the Florida chapter of the Poor People’s Campaign.
Tuesday, May 29th • Actions
May 29th people will be marching and doing non-violent direct action in 30 state capitols, including Tallahassee. A few Tallahassee Friends, and friends of Friends, were part of the March and gathering in the Capitol rotunda on May 21 which was reported in the Tallahassee Democrat>
The Pre-Action Training for May 29 will be held at the Tallahassee Meetinghouse. For those who wish to simply attend the rallies and marches, no training is required. However, training is mandatory for those who want to engage in nonviolent direct action. It will cover the principles of the campaign, what the action will look like, instructions on legal matters, and logistics. Trainees can then decide if they want to participate based on the information given.
Schedule, May 29th Tallahassee, FL
- 9:30 am – 12:00 pm: (Eastern Time) Pre-Action Training & Gathering, at the Quaker Meeting House, 2001 S Magnolia Dr, Tallahassee, FL 32301
- 12:30 – 1:30 pm March from 603 N. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd to the Capitol
- 2:00 pm: Gathering inside the Florida Capitol (first Floor Rotunda)
See more details on the Florida PPC facebook page>
Host Contact Info: Florida@poorpeoplescampaign.org
Truthful Tuesday Teach-Ins • Livestreaming Event
This week only, the Truthful Tuesday Teach-In will be livestreamed on Wednesday night, May 30th, at 7:30 pm. The remaining weeks will be on Tuesdays (June 5, 12, and 19).
Friends in Miami and Orlando Meetings are gathering Tuesday nights at 7:30 pm to watch the Truthful Tuesday Teach-Ins, which livestream from the PPC Facebook page, or can be found on the livestream page of the PPC website>
Miami Friends Meeting and the Unitarian Universalist Congregation are sponsoring a Watch Party for at 7pm on May 30th for a Teach-In. This week’s theme will be “The War Economy: Militarism and the Proliferation of Gun Violence.” They will be joined by a group of leaders and educators from the campaign who will speak on gun violence in our communities and the effects of militarism at home and abroad. See more about the event and location on the Miami PPC Facebook page>. Nine Orlando Friends have been gathering for the Teach-Ins, and are reaching out to others on Facebook.
You can see video of the May 22nd Teach In on Systemic Racism and Voter Suppression on the Kairos Center Facebook page here> . Other livestream events happen during the week; check online for videos of the most recent event on their ‘Livestream’ page. Last Thursday there was a live show on the Justice Arts Movement—Theomusicology and Poetry for the PPC.
Themes of the upcoming weeks of action are:
- Week 4 (June 3-9) The Right to Health and a Healthy Planet: Ecological Devastation and Health Care
- Week 5 (June 10-16) Everybody’s Got the Right To Live: Education, Living Wages, Jobs, Income, Housing
- Week 6 (June 17-23) A New and Unsettling Force: Confronting the Distorted Moral Narrative
- Saturday, June 23, 10:00 a.m. EDT 10am – Global Day of Solidarity and Sending Forth Call to Action Mass Rally in Washington, D.C.
To join the PPC Campaign and receive their emails, Visit the PPC website>
- Friends & the New Poor Peoples’ Campaign
- PPC Website: www.poorpeoplescampaign.org
- PPC facebook page>
- Georgia Poor Peoples’ Campaign facebook page> & website: moralmondayga.org
- South Carolina Poor Peoples’ Campaign facebook page>
- Florida PPC facebook page> https://www.facebook.com/FLAPPC/
- The Souls of Poor Folk: Auditing America 50 Years After the Poor People’s Campaign Challenged Racism, Poverty, the War Economy/Militarism and Our National Morality