The recent Peace & Social Concerns news from Sarasota Meeting addresses two concerns Friends share---the militarization of the police, and plastic pollution of our oceans---and highlights how two young adults are making a difference. Kate Thurston, a student at New College and member of FCNL's Advocacy Corps for 2018-2019, spoke…
A community workshop on sanctuary and immigration, held Sep. 29th at Miami Friends Meeting, was “very successful,” writes Kathy Hersh of Miami Meeting. The day-long workshop, titled “Building Support and Relationships With Immigrant Communities…,” was held to examine immigration and sanctuary issues, and find out what support Friends can give…
At Fall Interim Business Meeting on October 6th, we will have the opportunity to hear from two visitors from the Coalition of Immokalee Workers. They have been invited to talk with the SEYM Peace and Social Concerns Committee and the Youth Committee, and will also have time to talk with…
Mónica Maher, Coordinator, sends us this update on the work of Peacebuilding en las Américas (PLA), an Initiative of Friends Peace Teams that brings Alternative to Violence Project and trauma healing workshops and other peacemaking support to vulnerable communities in Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Ecuador. FRIENDS PEACE…
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Acting in Faith connects Friends with the work of AFSC
- AFSC-Miami: the American Friends Immigrant Service Program
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
- Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) a Quaker presence at the United Nations, representing Friends’ concerns for global peace & justice.
- Quaker House Counseling and support for military service members
- Friends Peace Teams Peacebuilding, healing and reconciliation in Africa, Asia-West Pacific, Central and South America
- Friends New Underground Railroad (FNUR) transports LGBTQ people out of danger of persecution
- Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm, a summer camp for middle school youth
- Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) grassroots program of volunteers dedicated to reducing violence in ourselves and in our lives — our homes, schools, prisons, and communities.
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) a human rights organization based in the farmworker community.
- Fair Food Program ensures humane conditions and fair wages for farmworkers. A project of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace and justice, nonviolent alternatives to conflict, and the rights of conscience
- Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (FCPJ) Peaceful means to social change.
- Florida Impact mobilizing communities against hunger & poverty
- SIPAZ: preventing socio-political violence in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other communities in Mexico.
- Sustainable Living Center of North Florida a project of FCPJ