Mónica Maher, Coordinator for Peacebuilding en las Américas (PLA), an initiative of Friends Peace Teams, sends us this report on the PLA's work in May and June 2019. Despite contexts of government corruption, extreme human rights abuses and gang violence, PLA counterparts continue with hope, commitment, creativity and courage. COLOMBIA…
Thirteen Friends joined the Mother’s Day protest to end child detention at the Homestead Child Detention Center in Homestead, Florida, a privately owned facility that is housing over 2,000 immigrant children. 5 Quakers from Deland, 5 from Miami, 2 from Clearwater, and one from Key Largo/Cape Cod were among the…
Tallahassee Friends are now “Quakers and Friends from Across the Country who use their Power as Constituents to make Change in Washington.” With training and support from Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL), they have formed an Advocacy Team to lobby members of Congress, and are currently planning their first…
Mónica Maher, Coordinator, for Peacebuilding en las Américas (PLA), sends us this update. PLA is an Initiative of Friends Peace Teams that brings Alternative to Violence Project and trauma healing workshops and other peacemaking support to vulnerable communities in Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Ecuador. FRIENDS PEACE TEAMS Peacebuilding…
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Acting in Faith connects Friends with the work of AFSC
- AFSC-Miami: the American Friends Immigrant Service Program
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
- Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) a Quaker presence at the United Nations, representing Friends’ concerns for global peace & justice.
- Quaker House Counseling and support for military service members
- Friends Peace Teams Peacebuilding, healing and reconciliation in Africa, Asia-West Pacific, Central and South America
- Friends New Underground Railroad (FNUR) transports LGBTQ people out of danger of persecution
- Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm, a summer camp for middle school youth
- Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) grassroots program of volunteers dedicated to reducing violence in ourselves and in our lives — our homes, schools, prisons, and communities.
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) a human rights organization based in the farmworker community.
- Fair Food Program ensures humane conditions and fair wages for farmworkers. A project of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace and justice, nonviolent alternatives to conflict, and the rights of conscience
- Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (FCPJ) Peaceful means to social change.
- Florida Impact mobilizing communities against hunger & poverty
- SIPAZ: preventing socio-political violence in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other communities in Mexico.
- Sustainable Living Center of North Florida a project of FCPJ