Monica Maher, Peacebuilding en las Americas Coordinator for Friends Peace Teams, sends us this report for June 2020. The Peacebuilding en las Américas (PLA) Peace Baskets Project (PAN PAV) is successfully underway in all five countries where PLA works: Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, Colombia and Ecuador. The project was designed…
Coordinator Mónica Maher sent this report from Peacebuilding en las Américas (PLA). Their network of AVP facilitators in Ecuador, Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras are coping with dire pandemic conditions: hunger, human rights violations, the collapse of public health systems, and more. They have set up a special PLA…
Following up on what they learned in the recent George Lakey workshop, ‘How We Win,’ Gainesville Quakers have begun taking steps to wage nonviolent direct action campaigns. First, they held a worship sharing/forum to determine group and individual leadings for waging. Four issues were identified: Rodman Dam area restoration of…
George Lakey, long-time activist and author, visited four Meetings in Florida, giving workshops based on his latest book, How We Win: A Guide To Nonviolent Direct Action Campaigning. The 3-1/2 hour interactive, intense workshop walked Friends through the process of planning a sustained, successful nonviolent campaign to effect social change.…
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Acting in Faith connects Friends with the work of AFSC
- AFSC-Miami: the American Friends Immigrant Service Program
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
- Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) a Quaker presence at the United Nations, representing Friends’ concerns for global peace & justice.
- Quaker House Counseling and support for military service members
- Friends Peace Teams Peacebuilding, healing and reconciliation in Africa, Asia-West Pacific, Central and South America
- Friends New Underground Railroad (FNUR) transports LGBTQ people out of danger of persecution
- Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm, a summer camp for middle school youth
- Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) grassroots program of volunteers dedicated to reducing violence in ourselves and in our lives — our homes, schools, prisons, and communities.
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) a human rights organization based in the farmworker community.
- Fair Food Program ensures humane conditions and fair wages for farmworkers. A project of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace and justice, nonviolent alternatives to conflict, and the rights of conscience
- Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (FCPJ) Peaceful means to social change.
- Florida Impact mobilizing communities against hunger & poverty
- SIPAZ: preventing socio-political violence in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other communities in Mexico.
- Sustainable Living Center of North Florida a project of FCPJ