The people of Nicaragua continue to carry the burden of their unfortunate geography. Recently, in addition to the omnipresent poverty, Mother Nature released on them an ecological trifecta that included volcanic eruptions, an earthquake, and a hurricane. To make matters more complicated politically, the now-corrupt President Ortega has been re-elected,…
SEYM minuted our support for the Standing Rock Sioux in protesting the DAPL pipeline at our Fall Interim Business Meeting. Since then, SEYM Friends have provided updates and ways Friends can help. Update: Kody Hersh (Miami) has been to the Standing Rock encampments twice as a member of the Christian…
The SEYM Peace and Social Concerns Committee will be holding a one day retreat for not only current committee members, but also anyone who is interested in working with the SEYM P&SC committee either by becoming a member of the committee or as a point of contact for their monthly…
In case you were wondering what to get certain friends and family members for Christmas this year, when you donate in someone’s name, ProNica will send a them heartwarming card with a hand written note: “A donation has been made in your honor to ProNica" The beautifully illustrated 11-page card…
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Acting in Faith connects Friends with the work of AFSC
- AFSC-Miami: the American Friends Immigrant Service Program
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
- Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) a Quaker presence at the United Nations, representing Friends’ concerns for global peace & justice.
- Quaker House Counseling and support for military service members
- Friends Peace Teams Peacebuilding, healing and reconciliation in Africa, Asia-West Pacific, Central and South America
- Friends New Underground Railroad (FNUR) transports LGBTQ people out of danger of persecution
- Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm, a summer camp for middle school youth
- Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) grassroots program of volunteers dedicated to reducing violence in ourselves and in our lives — our homes, schools, prisons, and communities.
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) a human rights organization based in the farmworker community.
- Fair Food Program ensures humane conditions and fair wages for farmworkers. A project of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace and justice, nonviolent alternatives to conflict, and the rights of conscience
- Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (FCPJ) Peaceful means to social change.
- Florida Impact mobilizing communities against hunger & poverty
- SIPAZ: preventing socio-political violence in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other communities in Mexico.
- Sustainable Living Center of North Florida a project of FCPJ