Following up on what they learned in the recent George Lakey workshop, ‘How We Win,’ Gainesville Quakers have begun taking steps to wage nonviolent direct action campaigns. First, they held a worship sharing/forum to determine group and individual leadings for waging. Four issues were identified: Rodman Dam area restoration of…
George Lakey, long-time activist and author, visited four Meetings in Florida, giving workshops based on his latest book, How We Win: A Guide To Nonviolent Direct Action Campaigning. The 3-1/2 hour interactive, intense workshop walked Friends through the process of planning a sustained, successful nonviolent campaign to effect social change.…
Mónica Maher, Initiative Coordinator for Peacebuilding en las Americas (PLA) sends this report on their work since September 2019. A highlight of this period was visiting Friends in Seattle, Olympia, Corvallis and Portland November 8-13 as part of the PLA Speaking Tour in the Pacific Northwest, organized by PLA Financial…
Mónica Maher, Coordinator for Peacebuilding en las Américas (PLA), an initiative of Friends Peace Teams, sends us this report on the PLA's work in May and June 2019. Despite contexts of government corruption, extreme human rights abuses and gang violence, PLA counterparts continue with hope, commitment, creativity and courage. COLOMBIA…
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Acting in Faith connects Friends with the work of AFSC
- AFSC-Miami: the American Friends Immigrant Service Program
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
- Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) a Quaker presence at the United Nations, representing Friends’ concerns for global peace & justice.
- Quaker House Counseling and support for military service members
- Friends Peace Teams Peacebuilding, healing and reconciliation in Africa, Asia-West Pacific, Central and South America
- Friends New Underground Railroad (FNUR) transports LGBTQ people out of danger of persecution
- Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm, a summer camp for middle school youth
- Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) grassroots program of volunteers dedicated to reducing violence in ourselves and in our lives — our homes, schools, prisons, and communities.
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) a human rights organization based in the farmworker community.
- Fair Food Program ensures humane conditions and fair wages for farmworkers. A project of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace and justice, nonviolent alternatives to conflict, and the rights of conscience
- Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (FCPJ) Peaceful means to social change.
- Florida Impact mobilizing communities against hunger & poverty
- SIPAZ: preventing socio-political violence in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other communities in Mexico.
- Sustainable Living Center of North Florida a project of FCPJ