Sarasota Meeting has a long tradition of actively supporting the Coalition of Immokalee Workers' (CIW) efforts to secure better wages and safe working conditions for farmworkers. Two Sarasota Friends shared what they learned from a recent immersion visit with the Immokalee farmworkers. Here are their stories: • • • • …
SEYM has a long history of supporting the work of the Coalition of Immokalee Farm Workers, going back decades; and now Friends in SEYM are re-connecting with CIW and it’s Fair Food Campaign. For a few years, our SEYM Youth were active with the Alliance for Fair Food; they had…
Circus McGurkis, the People’s Fair, 2018 was themed “Ride the Peace Wave.” Instead of being held at a city park or private wooded church campus, the site of this year’s Circus McGurkis was the large, beautifully landscaped inner courtyard at Gibbs High School, the arts magnet school and former African…
The recent Peace & Social Concerns news from Sarasota Meeting addresses two concerns Friends share---the militarization of the police, and plastic pollution of our oceans---and highlights how two young adults are making a difference. Kate Thurston, a student at New College and member of FCNL's Advocacy Corps for 2018-2019, spoke…
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Acting in Faith connects Friends with the work of AFSC
- AFSC-Miami: the American Friends Immigrant Service Program
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
- Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) a Quaker presence at the United Nations, representing Friends’ concerns for global peace & justice.
- Quaker House Counseling and support for military service members
- Friends Peace Teams Peacebuilding, healing and reconciliation in Africa, Asia-West Pacific, Central and South America
- Friends New Underground Railroad (FNUR) transports LGBTQ people out of danger of persecution
- Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm, a summer camp for middle school youth
- Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) grassroots program of volunteers dedicated to reducing violence in ourselves and in our lives — our homes, schools, prisons, and communities.
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) a human rights organization based in the farmworker community.
- Fair Food Program ensures humane conditions and fair wages for farmworkers. A project of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace and justice, nonviolent alternatives to conflict, and the rights of conscience
- Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (FCPJ) Peaceful means to social change.
- Florida Impact mobilizing communities against hunger & poverty
- SIPAZ: preventing socio-political violence in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other communities in Mexico.
- Sustainable Living Center of North Florida a project of FCPJ