Mónica Maher, Coordinator, for Peacebuilding en las Américas (PLA), sends us this update. PLA is an Initiative of Friends Peace Teams that brings Alternative to Violence Project and trauma healing workshops and other peacemaking support to vulnerable communities in Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, and Ecuador. FRIENDS PEACE TEAMS Peacebuilding…
AFSC Miami and the Reclaim Homestead Coalition held a major press conference on March 5 across the street from the Homestead Detention Center, where unaccompanied children are still being brought in to be warehoused while they wait to be reunited with family or released to a sponsor. The Press Conference…
After a tour of the Homestead Detention Center, where over 1,500 immigrant children are being detained, Congresswoman Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (Congressional District 26) held a round table discussion with immigrant advocacy groups. Among those at the table were Lis-Marie Alvarado, an attender of Miami Friends Meeting and AFSC Miami staff and…
The SEYM Peace and Social Concerns Committee is asking Monthly Meetings and Worship Groups to consider signing a letter endorsing the Wendy’s boycott, a key campaign and current focus of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) ciw-online.org/wendys. This boycott of the Wendy’s fast food chain is designed to raise public…
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Acting in Faith connects Friends with the work of AFSC
- AFSC-Miami: the American Friends Immigrant Service Program
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
- Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) a Quaker presence at the United Nations, representing Friends’ concerns for global peace & justice.
- Quaker House Counseling and support for military service members
- Friends Peace Teams Peacebuilding, healing and reconciliation in Africa, Asia-West Pacific, Central and South America
- Friends New Underground Railroad (FNUR) transports LGBTQ people out of danger of persecution
- Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm, a summer camp for middle school youth
- Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) grassroots program of volunteers dedicated to reducing violence in ourselves and in our lives — our homes, schools, prisons, and communities.
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) a human rights organization based in the farmworker community.
- Fair Food Program ensures humane conditions and fair wages for farmworkers. A project of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace and justice, nonviolent alternatives to conflict, and the rights of conscience
- Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (FCPJ) Peaceful means to social change.
- Florida Impact mobilizing communities against hunger & poverty
- SIPAZ: preventing socio-political violence in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other communities in Mexico.
- Sustainable Living Center of North Florida a project of FCPJ