Miami Friends Meeting welcomed a Salvadoran refugee into our faith community last First Day. Her name is Morena, mother of Osmar, age 12, who was taken from her at the border crossing point two months ago. He is living in a New York immigration detention center. She has been able…
SEYM Friends have been active in protesting the separation of children from their families and the treatment of immigrants at the Mexican border, participating in demonstrations, visiting Senator Marco Rubio’s offices, and sending letters to their congresspersons. A number of Friends across SEYM participated in demonstrations held the week of…
Quaker Meetings, Friends and Friends Organizations are responding to the ongoing humanitarian crisis created by the US government’s separation of children from their families as they cross the US/Mexican border. Here are a few ways Quakers are taking action. Events June 23 • Keep Families Together/Stop the Detention Camps • Rally…
SEYM Friends Peace Teams representative Cece Yocum (Tampa) sends us a report from Peacebuilding en las Americas (PLA), an initiative of Friends Peace Teams that does Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) and trauma healing workshops and other peace-building work in Honduras, Guatemala, Colombia, and El Salvador. Their work includes projects…
- American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Acting in Faith connects Friends with the work of AFSC
- AFSC-Miami: the American Friends Immigrant Service Program
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) A Quaker Lobby in the Public Interest
- Quaker United Nations Office (QUNO) a Quaker presence at the United Nations, representing Friends’ concerns for global peace & justice.
- Quaker House Counseling and support for military service members
- Friends Peace Teams Peacebuilding, healing and reconciliation in Africa, Asia-West Pacific, Central and South America
- Friends New Underground Railroad (FNUR) transports LGBTQ people out of danger of persecution
- Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm, a summer camp for middle school youth
- Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP) grassroots program of volunteers dedicated to reducing violence in ourselves and in our lives — our homes, schools, prisons, and communities.
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers (CIW) a human rights organization based in the farmworker community.
- Fair Food Program ensures humane conditions and fair wages for farmworkers. A project of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers.
- Fellowship of Reconciliation Peace and justice, nonviolent alternatives to conflict, and the rights of conscience
- Florida Coalition for Peace & Justice (FCPJ) Peaceful means to social change.
- Florida Impact mobilizing communities against hunger & poverty
- SIPAZ: preventing socio-political violence in Chiapas, Oaxaca, Guerrero, and other communities in Mexico.
- Sustainable Living Center of North Florida a project of FCPJ